Understanding Different Burns and How to Treat Them Swiftly
Burns are a common injury that can happen to anyone at any time. Knowing the types of burns and how to heal them quickly and efficiently is essential for proper recovery. The most frequently encountered burns are first, second, and third-degree burns.
A first-degree burn, the mildest form, only impacts the outer skin layer, known as the epidermis. These burns usually recover within a week without leaving any scars.
Second-degree burns are more severe, affecting both the epidermis and the dermis, the layer beneath. These burns can be quite painful and often result in blisters. Healing typically takes two to three weeks and may leave scarring.
Third-degree burns are the most severe, penetrating the epidermis, dermis, and the underlying tissue. These burns are extremely painful and often necessitate skin grafts for proper healing, leaving scars behind.
To ensure a speedy recovery and prevent infection, it’s crucial to treat burns promptly and effectively. Here are some tips for accelerating burn healing and minimizing pain:
- Cool the affected area: Run cold water over the burn for at least 20 minutes to alleviate swelling and discomfort.
- Use a sterile bandage: Gently place a sterile, non-stick bandage on the burn. Make sure to wrap it loosely to prevent putting excessive pressure on the skin.
- Manage pain with medication: If experiencing pain, take over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
- Apply a topical antibiotic: For burns that are open or susceptible to infection, use a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin to ward off potential infections.
- Maintain cleanliness and dryness: Keep the burn area clean and dry to avert infection. Replace the bandage daily and apply a fresh layer of antibiotic ointment if necessary.
- Seek medical attention for severe burns: Consult a doctor for treatment if the burn is extensive, has blisters larger than 2 inches, or covers a significant portion of the body.
For all your over-the-counter medication needs and expert advice, visit Ogden Pharmacy at 7 – 1603 62 Avenue SE, Calgary, AB T2C 5C5, or call us at 587-391-9878. We serve the communities of Lynnwood, Ogden, Dover, Quarry Park, Douglas Glen, Riverbend Calgary, and southeast areas of Calgary, Alberta.
Our friendly staff is here to assist you, whether you have chronic diseases, children, or are a senior. We offer free prescription delivery, free blister packaging, compounded medications, medicines for pets, opioids treatment, and other services to make your experience as convenient as possible.