To care more about the environment, we should make sure that we dispose of our old and unneeded medication in a way to protect our environment and avoid any medication poisoning.
Ogden Pharmacy offers free, convenient medication disposal for any expired or unused medicine.
Instead of any hard thinking about how to get rid of your medications safely, this program will shift the burden of the safe disposal of your medications to us and provide you with a peace of mind.
However, if you choose to dispose of your medications at another pharmacy, we are happy to provide you with some other useful directions.
How to safely dispose of your unused and old prescription and OTC medications
Here are some tips on how to safely dispose of your medications:
- You can hand them to us at Ogden Pharmacy and will use our special equipment and disposal services that can deal with those medicines.
- You can visit the Alberta Pharmacists’ Association to look for other pharmacies having a disposal program.
- Please do not put your medicines in the garbage, compost or dissolve them in the sink or the toilet, as it would harm the environment. Additionally, some of the medicines could even go back to all of our potable water through our wastewater treatment procedures!
How to know when it’s time to dispose of your medications
- If the medication is outdated, it may no longer be effective and could even be dangerous.
- If the medication is no longer in its original container, it should be disposed of to prevent accidental ingestion.
- If the medication is a controlled substance, it should be discarded properly to prevent abuse.