Over-the-counter (OTC) medications and supplements
Many over-the-counter medications and supplements are available in Ogden Pharmacy in Lynnwood Plaza in Ogden, Southeast Calgary. Some of the most common types include pain, allergy, cold and flu remedies, stomach medications, and a wide variety of supplements.
Typically, there are two types of OTC: generic and brand.
The generic type is similar to the famous brands and has identical medicinal characteristics but is more affordable and sometimes has medicinal strengths that do not exist in the brand name OTC. The name of the generic OTC that Ogden Pharmacy has is Option+.
Examples of brand names of OTC include Tylenol, Motrin, Claritin, Nexium, Reactine, etc.
Our inventory at Ogden Pharmacy in Calgary includes:
- Pain relievers are one of the most commonly used over-the-counter medications. They relieve pain from headaches, menstrual cramps, muscle aches, and arthritis. The most common pain relievers are acetaminophen and ibuprofen.
- Allergy relievers are also widely known and used to relieve allergy symptoms that may result from seasonal changes or exposure to dust, pollen, mould, insect stings, and some medications. Some of the most common over-the-counter allergy medications include antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays.
- Antihistamines block the histamine your body releases in response to an allergy trigger. This can help relieve the symptoms of hay fever, hives, and other allergies.
- Decongestants help reduce congestion and pressure in the sinuses, making breathing easier.
- Nasal sprays can also help to reduce congestion and may also contain antihistamines.
- Cold and flu remedies are used to treat the symptoms of colds and flu. They can help to relieve congestion, coughing, and sore throats. Like allergy relievers, cold and flu remedies often contain antihistamines, and decongestants, with the addition of pain relievers. It is noteworthy that the pseudoephedrine (a medicine that acts as a decongestant but can also increase blood pressure) that may exist in some cold and flu remedies may not be compatible with patients having high blood pressure and heart problems. It is better to talk to your pharmacist to discuss possible drug side effects.
- Stomach medications treat stomach pain, heartburn, indigestion, and nausea. Those medications can also be used to treat diarrhea and constipation. The most common stomach medications are antacids, H2 blockers, etc.
Ogden Pharmacy also has supplements including vitamins and minerals such as multivitamins, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Zinc, Calcium, and many others.
It is essential to read the labels of all medications carefully before taking them, as some may cause drowsiness or other side effects. If you are taking other medicines, you should also speak to your doctor or pharmacist to ensure no interactions.
Please call us at 587-391-9878, use the Facebook Messenger Chatbot (the bottom right of this page), or use our WhatsApp Chat (the bottom left of this page) to ask us about OTCs that you may need.