- The Dawn of the Calgary Cancer Centre: Rising like a phoenix, the newly constructed Calgary Cancer Centre found a home under the wings of Alberta Health Services, marking a landmark achievement in local healthcare.
- Alberta Children’s Hospital’s Battle with Overcrowding: In a struggle against swelling patient numbers, the Alberta Children’s Hospital in Calgary erected a heated trailer to shelter the overflow. The hospital, alongside Edmonton’s Stollery, found themselves grappling with capacity strains of 100% or more.
- The Vanguard of Diagnostic Excellence: The Alberta Centre for Advanced Diagnostics at the University of Calgary stands poised to catapult the city into the global arena in the crusade for superior diagnostic technology.
- Shadow of Hepatitis B: A specter loomed over a private midwifery provider when a potential Hepatitis B exposure came to light. The blemish at the Calgary Midwives Collective was unearthed by Alberta Health Services during a routine inspection, which was ironically instigated by a public masking complaint.
- The Long Wait in Emergency Rooms: A disheartening trend has emerged in Calgary’s emergency departments. Recent data paints a bleak picture of escalating wait times, reflecting a healthcare system stretched thin over the past two years.
- New Diagnostic Arsenal: Calgary’s medical practitioners are set to wield a formidable new weapon in their fight against lethal diseases like cancer, courtesy of an $18 million cyclotron and accompanying facility.
- Expansion of Emergency Room Facilities: Calgary’s PLC hospital is gearing up for a major revamp. The emergency department is on the brink of a massive expansion, with an increase of 1,500 square meters slated to include state-of-the-art triage and trauma areas, and a conveniently positioned ambulance drop-off area.
- Tuberculosis Scare: A wave of anxiety swept through a Calgary high school when it was revealed that approximately 200 individuals could have been exposed to tuberculosis.
- Affordable Housing Triumphs: Despite some community resistance, a proposal for an affordable housing unit in the heart of Ogden found favour with Calgary’s councillors. This development could be a game changer for the social determinants of health in the area.
- A Mother’s Return: In a heartwarming turn of events, the mother of a newborn who was left alone in Ogden was located and is now enveloped in the necessary support system.
- A Canine Rescue: In the midst of chaos and fire, a furry resident of Riverbend was rescued from a house fire, shining a spotlight on the importance of fire safety in the community.
- The Drug Underworld: The Alberta Law Enforcement Response Teams made a shocking discovery in Calgary, seizing a horde of meth, fentanyl, and cocaine valued over $300,000. The presence of these potent substances paints a grim picture of the health risks shadowing the community.
- Shots in the Dark: A chilling investigation into a fatal shooting in Riverbend led to the recovery of the suspected firearms. This incident underscores the lurking threats to public safety and peace of mind in the community.
- The Landfill Controversy: An acrid dispute has bubbled up between businesses, residents of Riverbend, and the Ecco Waste recycling plant over the proposed expansion of a local landfill. This growing unease hints at the potential environmental health challenges that could taint the area.