If you live in Calgary, Alberta, have been admitted to any of Calgary hospitals such as Foothills Medical Centre (also known as Foothills Hospital), South Health Campus, Rockyview General Hospital (Calgary), Alberta Children’s Hospital (Calgary), or any other hospital, you may be given a discharge prescription to treat your medical condition upon your discharge from that hospital.
This prescription can be filled from the hospital pharmacy, or Ogden Pharmacy can help fill it for you.
Since Ogden Pharmacy received some questions regarding hospital discharge (especially the prescription part), we decided to provide some Q&A or FAQ about that particular prescription type as follows.
1. What is a discharge prescription?
A discharge prescription is a prescription that is given to a patient upon their discharge from a hospital.
2. Why are discharge prescriptions important?
Discharge prescriptions are important because they help ensure patients receive the medications they need after leaving the hospital.
3. What medications are typically included in a discharge prescription?
Some common medications that may be included in a discharge prescription are antibiotics, pain medications, and heart medications.
4. How long is a discharge prescription valid?
A discharge prescription is typically valid for 30 days after the patient’s discharge from the hospital.
5. Can a discharge prescription be renewed?
Yes, a discharge prescription can be renewed if the patient needs more medication.
6. How can I get a copy of my discharge prescription?
If you need a copy of your discharge prescription, you can ask your doctor or the hospital for a copy.
7. I lost my discharge prescription. What should I do?
If you lose your discharge prescription, you can contact your doctor or the hospital to get a new one.
8. Can I get my discharge prescription filled at any pharmacy?
Yes, you can fill your discharge prescription at any pharmacy that accepts your insurance. Our pharmacy in Calgary (Ogden Pharmacy) can help you fill your discharge prescriptions and accepts all insurance. We will work with you to resolve any insurance problem related to your medications.
9. Does Ogden Pharmacy have free services to make things more smooth for my discharge prescription?
Yes. Ogden Pharmacy offers free prescription delivery, free blister packs (to sort all your medications for the right dose and time of administration), free over-the-counter delivery (with your free prescription delivery), and continuous follow-up to ensure that you got everything in place.
10. How much will my discharge prescription cost?
The cost of your discharge prescription will depend on your insurance coverage and the medication itself.
11. What should I do if I have questions about my discharge prescription?
If you have questions about your discharge prescription, you can contact your doctor or the hospital for more information.
12. How do I know if I need a prescription when I leave the hospital?
Your care team will let you know if you need a prescription when you are discharged from the hospital.
13. What medications will I need a prescription for when I leave the hospital?
Your care team will tell you what medications you need a prescription for when you leave the hospital.
14. How do I get my discharge prescriptions?
Your care team will give you your discharge prescriptions when you are discharged from the hospital.
15. Can I get my discharge prescriptions filled at the hospital pharmacy?
Yes, you can get your discharge prescriptions filled at the hospital pharmacy.
16. Can I get my discharge prescriptions filled at a different pharmacy?
Yes, you can get your discharge prescriptions filled at a different pharmacy.
17. Do I need a prescription for all my medications when I leave the hospital?
No, you do not need a prescription for all your medications when you leave the hospital. Your care team will let you know which medications you will need a prescription for.
18. What if I forget to get my discharge prescriptions filled?
If you forget to get your discharge prescriptions filled, you can call your local pharmacy or Ogden Pharmacy staff (587-391-9878), and they will help you.
19. What if I can’t afford any balance related to discharge prescriptions?
If you can’t afford your discharge prescriptions, Ogden Pharmacy will work with your insurance and Alberta Works if applicable and will try to help you.
20. What if I have questions about my discharge prescriptions?
If you have questions about your discharge prescriptions, you can call the hospital pharmacy, and they will help you.
21. On average, how many prescriptions exist in a hospital discharge?
Most patients come to our pharmacy location in Calgary with three or more prescriptions per hospital discharge.
22. For what duration the prescription in a hospital discharge is dispensed?
It depends. Some patients need doses sufficient for a few days, a week, a month, or even three months.
23. Normally, do the prescriptions of a hospital discharge include new medications?
Depending on the case of the patient, the discharge prescription could include added therapy, discontinued therapy, dose titration (gradually increased dose), dose tapering (gradually decreased dose)
24. Is the hospital discharge prescription considered something normal?
Yes. However, some patients need counselling to navigate the new or discontinued medications. That’s when our pharmacy staff provides the patient with the needed counselling and continuous follow-up based on the patient’s needs.
For more information regarding hospital discharges, you can call us at 587-391-9878, or if you are nearby in Ogden, Lynnwood, or Riverbend, you can visit us as well at our location at Lynnwood Plaza.